Fan Controller Wiring
After frying my first fan controller by attempting to plug the molex connector in upside-down, I got my replacement in a couple of days (thanks to pccasegear.com
) and changed the insides over. It necessitated replacing all the LEDs once again but I soon had it up and running.
I made a cover from 3mm white acrylic, cut and drilled and bent - you will see this properly later. I once more wrote in marker pen where everything was going to go on the inside of the cover. This helped me work out wire lengths etc. The cover will be chrome when finished. I had to dremel off part of the brackets that mount the PCB inside the cover in order for the cover to slide fully forward under the lip on the top and bottom of the back of the front bezel.
Being a lazy G-gnome I used the existing plugs and wires that came with the fan controllers (and remember I had two sets by now), simply cutting off the wires and wiring to 3.5mm Jack sockets. The power was split between two sockets with a +ve and a GND on each and will be patched to matching sockets on the junction box. Though unlikely I\'ll use all of them I will have 6 fan outputs and 4 switchable 12v power outs (2 for LEDs and 2 for back panel DC sockets).
Also in a fit of apathy I used a couple of 3 way joiners instead of soldering the 12v/GND wires. I did make an effort to get a red marker and colour in this jack socket - why? Because it\'s a 5v power in and I don\'t want to go plugging in a 12v by mistake. I have done this with all my 5v power lines throughout the case. I will be hidden by the plug when plugged into.
All done and awaiting the return of my chrome cover from the electroplaters. To affix the chromed cover when it returned, I wanted something fairly strong to take the strain of all those jack plugs. Double sided tape wouldn\'t cut it and it had to be easy to remove if I needed to troubleshoot any problems later. So I drilled a couple of 4mm holes in the pcb (avoiding any tracks)...
...and fixed a couple of bolts in place with a nut to end up with a perfect fit when I push the cover on. The bolts come through the pre-drilled holes and will be topped with a washer and dome nut. You\'ll see this better later, when I get the cover back and finish the fanbus.
I really wanted to take a pic of the fanbus in place and lit up at this stage, but with all the bare sockets I risked frying it (again) so had to wait for my cover to arrive. As you\'ll see later, the wait was worth it.
The end result once again...