To match the spacious 1,920 x 1,080 HD 17.3in screen, there’s a Blu-ray drive. Oddly, the screen isn’t hinged at the back of the laptop, but sits a couple of inches forward of the rear, making the G73 look slightly retro. The panel has a glossy coating, but lacks the striking whites of other glossy screens we’ve seen, even if the blacks looked deep and solid.
This combination gives images displayed on the screen solidity (due to the deep black level), but they lack vibrancy and punch. The reflectivity of the screen means that this is a laptop best used with the lights switched off, but at least the shadowy areas of scenes are richly detailed so that you can see an enemy sneaking under a bridge or hedge.
The keyboard uses chiclet-style keys, and is large, comfortable and logically laid out. Click to enlarge.
The keyboard uses the now ubiquitous chiclet key style, and the G73 is large enough to incorporate a numpad without cramping any of the keys. The keys are comfortable to use, with a smooth action, and there’s a double-height Enter key, a two key-wide backspace. The Ctrl key is on the bottom left-hand side, with Fn to its right, just as we gamers want.
With plenty of space on the chassis base, Asus has found room for a large trackpad, which has a matt finish that fingers can glide across comfortably for ages. However, the buttons are very stiff, requiring a firm prod every time we clicked them. In contrast, the lid and chassis could be firmer – the lid in particular is more flexible than we’d like, even if it’s strong enough to withstand potentially damaging pressure from the rear.
While the keyboard is great, the trackpad buttons are incredibly stiff to press. Click to enlarge.
- Processor 1.6GHz Intel Core i7-720QM
- Chipset Intel HM55
- Memory 8GB 1,333MHz DDR3
- Graphics 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
- Sound Intel HD Audio with EAX 4.0 support
- Hard disk(s) 2 x 500GB 7,200rpm Seagate Momentus 7400.4
- Optical drive HL-DT-ST CT21N Blu-ray ROM/DVD±RW
- Screen 17.3in 1,920 x 1,080 TFT
- Networking Gigabit Ethernet, Atheros AR9285 802.11g/n WiFi, Bluetooth
- Ports 4 x USB 2, headphone, mic, D-Sub, HDMI, LAN, SD/MMC/Memory Stick
- Dimensions (mm) 420 x 315 x 55 (W x D x H)
- Weight 4.0kg
- Warranty Two-year collect and return
- Extras Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit